Foothill College Accreditation Reaffirmed until 2024

After extensive preparation, review, and consideration, Foothill College’s accreditation was reaffirmed by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges on January 26th. In order to prepare for the review, the college conducted an intensive self-study, hosted a site-evaluation, and a published a series of reports. Reviewers will not return for another seven years.

President Thuy issued the following statement to The Script following news of the reaffirmation:

“I am so proud of the Foothill community. Our college has received the highest form of accreditation reaffirmation from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC). What does that mean for us? The ACCJC evaluates community colleges to ensure they are effectively meeting standards of providing quality education to students. Foothill was evaluated by a team of higher education professionals who came to visit the college for four days last October. The ACCJC determined that we are, in fact, meeting the standards. The college will receive another evaluation in seven years. In the meantime, we will continue to evaluate ourselves and keep improving our services as our commitment to students goes well beyond meeting the requirements for accreditation.

The ACCJC visiting team also had this commendation in their formal report:

‘College leaders create an environment where they encourage administrators, faculty, staff, and students to participate actively in projects, and initiatives that are intended to improve practices, programs, and services in which they are involved. The team further commends the College’s leaders on creating an environment that encourages innovation in the creation and implementation of unique equity-based student-centered programs and services that meet or exceed regional and statewide workforce and educational needs.’

The ACCJC visiting team was particularly impressed with our students and their leadership on campus. I commend all of our students, faculty and staff for their commitment to educational excellence.”

ACCJC is part of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.