Foothill College's Student News Publication

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Winning Formula

An In-depth Discussion with Coach Owen Flannery
Ryan Q
Coach Owen Flannery addressing his team

Amidst the thrilling highs and strategically intricate tactics in college soccer, few voices have the same passion for the sport as Owen Flannery, the Head Coach of the Foothill College Men’s soccer team. Stepping onto the pitch with years of expertise and a passion for the sport, Flannery has assembled a group of players that embodies a fusion of leadership, commitment, and tactical brilliance. 

In an exclusive conversation that delves into the core of the game and the art of coaching, Flannery reveals the unique insight and careful preparation that went into the team’s significant improvement from the 2023 season. Covered in this interview are a range of topics, including the perspectives of players and coaches whose vision extends beyond the field, and the concept of building an image of sportsmanship and achievement at Foothill College. 

When looking into the Foothill Men’s Soccer team’s fabric, one witnesses an array of skills, strategies, and unwavering drive. The team’s success on the field is the result of a precise balance of individual talent and cohesive teamwork cultivated under the guidance of Flannery. “I pride myself on focusing on each player getting better,” said Flannery. “It’s very important we get better every game, even if we start the season on a low.” 

The Foothill Men’s Soccer team’s journey through the currents of competitive play is distinguished by ongoing development and strategic adaptability. Despite the ever-changing competition, the team continues to invest in modern tactics and technological developments to further refine its approach. 

Ryan Q
Owls huddle up before their match vs Feather River

Recent squad advancements reflect a shift in program approach, with cutting-edge training practices, data-driven insights, and novel scouting methodologies. “We were all ready and prepared before each practice,” Flannery said of the team. Collaborative efforts between coaching staff, sports science specialists, and the athletes themselves indicate a desire to explore new horizons and stay at the center of advancements within the sport. 

As the Foothill Men’s Soccer team looks to the future, it seems promising and full of potential. The program’s foundation is constructed on resilience and dedication to continuous improvement. “If you don’t care, I don’t want to go to battle with you,” reflects Coach Flannery, summarizing the team’s culture regarding their commitment and passion to improve the team from the beginning to the end of the season.

In the history of college soccer, the Foothill Men’s Soccer team has stood out as a testament to perseverance, adaptation, and desire to pursue improvement in all areas of the game. Through insightful analysis and commitment to evolving with the sport’s dynamic landscape, both players and coaching staff have woven a narrative of resilience and progress. As the season unfolded and new challenges arose, one thing remained constantthe team’s hunger to push boundaries and embrace change. Beyond winning and losing, their journey of determination, growth, and pursuit of athletic achievement continues to resonate with people both on and off the field.