Foothill College's Student News Publication

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

Back to Fitness! Foothill Gym Finally Reopens

Lynx Coleman

The Foothill Fitness Center, which was recently reopened to students and faculty, is located in room 2509 adjacent to the pool and the main gym. As I walked towards it on a cool Tuesday afternoon, I was met with Fetty Wap’s 2015 hit single ‘Trap Queen.’ The combination of the reverberating bass and the clang of metal on metal immediately created the ambiance that typically characterizes any gym. Undoubtedly, this was a place where students and teachers could put in the work. This was where maxes could be reached and creatine could be consumed.

Once I entered the fitness center, I was greeted by Stephen Mitchell, one of Foothill’s Facilities Coordinators. His outfit, which consisted of black sweatpants, a Cal Poly sweatshirt, and some diamond studs, conveyed a relaxed and friendly vibe. However, once he started coaching and giving the students their reps, he was all business. Consequently, our interview became an intricate balance between my questions, his thoughtful answers, and various students coming up to him with questions about sets.

Lynx Coleman

The facility, which has been around “forever,” as Mitchell puts it, was initially intended for classes. Unfortunately, as was the case with many amenities during Covid, the room was retired for the sake of safety. As of this year though, the ASFC took notice of the unused space and advocated for a repurposing. Now it is available on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am-3pm, and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am-2pm. As an added perk, it is completely free of charge!

When it comes to the actual equipment, the facility boasts “a little bit, believe it or not, of everything body wise” Mitchell noted proudly. One can work on anything from the upper body chest area, to arms, to legs, and even some cardio. On top of all that, as was mentioned earlier, Mitchell is there to support anyone who is curious about proper form or what each machine does. He is also there to advise, spot, coach, and add the occasional joke to lighten the mood.

In general, the hope is that students and faculty alike can use the facility to begin to explore the realms of strength, fitness, and wellness. With normal gym prices being so high, the Fitness Center is also a huge opportunity to capitalize on for those who are looking to save money and meet new people. 

Aside from those incredible benefits, the backbone of the program, Mitchell notes, is to “offer support.” Everyone, regardless of ability or experience, is welcome to come through and utilize the facility and take advantage of the help that the dedicated staff is willing to give. All that is needed is to sign in with a phone or on the sign-up sheet at the front. Then, students are encouraged to use any of the numerous lockers that are open for use right next to the gym. Just bring your own lock and let the grind begin!