Foothill College's Student News Publication

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

Owls Make History, Win Division Championship

Graphic by Joe Roswell

Foothill College made history today, finishing their first ever perfect 11-0 season with a 35-22 American Division Championship victory over Monterey Peninsula. This put an exclamation point on an incredible season for the Owls on both sides of the ball, averaging an absurd 44.3 points scored per game, and only 8.4 points allowed per game.    

However, the Owls’ dominant defense had to deal with some adversity right off the bat, as Monterey snatched a 7-0 lead with a 78-yard touchdown pass on the first play from scrimmage. 

Yet, as per usual, there was no panic from the Owls as QB Shamir Bey led the team on methodical drive after methodical drive, gradually pulling away from the visitors with the aid of big defensive stops.

Shamir Bey was deservedly named Championship Game MVP, completing 14 of 20 pass attempts for 186 yards and 3 touchdowns, finishing off his extremely impressive sophomore season. 

Like clockwork, RB Nate Williams was dominant again, tormenting Monterey with 82 downhill rushing yards and being rewarded with 2 touchdowns of his own, bringing his total to 8 on the season.

Foothill’s defense did a fantastic job of quelling an extremely motivated Monterey team, and did a great job of shutting down momentum that could’ve been dangerous if left unchecked. DB Amarion York made arguably the play of the game midway through the second quarter, securing an insane one-handed interception to snag possession for the Owls. 

This historical victory was a wonderful testament to the cohesiveness of the Foothill unit led by Head Coach Matt Raivio, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Younger, Offensive Coordinator Kenny Coleman, and the rest of this talented staff. Many earned celebrations and gatorade tub pours were in order as the Owls drank in this incredible achievement.