Foothill College's Student News Publication

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

Football Season Halfway Report

The Foothill Owls Football team has been off to an incredible start to the 2023 season. At the halfway mark, they have a perfect record of 5-0, while outscoring opponents 211-13. The Owls have one upped their mark from last season where they went into the bye week 4-1. 

The ship has been led by Sophomore QB Shamir Bey, who’s thrown for 786 yards with 12 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions, being the leader that this team needs to continue this perfect season. 

The running back room consists of three very impressive freshmen, Nate Williams, Anastacio Prado, and Jaymason Howard. They’ve combined for an extremely impressive 1146 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns. 

Arguably the most impressive part of the offense has been the Wide Receiver room, headlined by star sophomores Jaquwan Brackenridge and Wuda Ardoin. Both have over 230 yards receiving on the season, and Wuda is leading the team with 5 touchdown receptions. 

Remarking on the bond the team has, Jaquwan Brackenridge said, “We communicate, not just on a football level. This team just has a different aura to it.” 

However, the engine of this team so far is undoubtedly the defense. The immense unit has only allowed 13 points all year, and combined for 23 sacks and 7 interceptions. If the Owls want to continue this perfect season, the defense is the key to keeping them in games and giving the offense extra chances.

Owls Head Coach Matt Raivio reflected shiningly on his team and their approach to the season. When asked what makes Foothill different from their competitors, he spoke on the closeness of the unit. 

“It’s the culture [that makes us different]. We win with a lot of local guys, dedicated guys.”

He also remarked on his fellow playcallers. “It’s the coaching staff, where half the guys played here and are really dedicated to the college. When you combine all those elements with a lot of talent, you end up with a great team.” 

DB Tim Christian also was excited to talk about his bond with his teammates and how that cultivates the best on field product possible. 

“Overall, I feel like we’ve been executing at a high level. Obviously there’s room for improvement, but we’ve just been giving everything we got. We’re really close, and in the off-season we spend a lot of time together bonding.” 

The Owls will take this weekend to recharge and study their work so far before making the trip to face Monterey Peninsula on October 14th.