Foothill College's Student News Publication

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

The Foothill Script

Undocumented Student Action Week

Foothill Offers Documentation Information

The migration of people to countries like the United States has been increasing disproportionately over the years, both through legal and non-legal immigration. Many times, individuals arrive in this country legally, and circumstances change suddenly or they come seeking better life opportunities. This is why educational institutes like Foothill provide support and guidance for people who require it. Undocumented Student Action Week was held October 16-20 this year, with events centered around education and assistance of those of us living without documentation. The Foothill College activity for “undocumented students,” offered the opportunity for attendees to learn about different topics such as guidance for changes of status and visas, financial aid for those students waiting for legal status, and guidance in the legal process. All these topics were explained to us, students who seek a better future full of opportunities.

As an international student, the experience was very enriching and full of valuable information that covers the topic of the various visas that can be applied for while already in this country. It includes having completed different courses and studies that can be utilized in a company here. The colleges provide us with support and guidance on how to navigate the process of legally staying in this country. We were able to visit places and meet people who support this process. The legal process varies for different nationalities because, as we already know, each country has different regulations. However, I don’t want students to get discouraged. Instead, I encourage them to search and investigate all the opportunities that exist and apply to as many as possible.

The various subsidies that educational institutes provide for students to enter and study were a surprising topic for me as a spectator. I did not realize that residents had access to so much free assistance. Students have numerous opportunities for financing and scholarships that are suitable for all students, and most importantly, they should not be afraid to apply due to their immigration status; everyone has the freedom and opportunity to participate. Our colleges have a Financial Aid office where they provide us with more information and guidance on this topic. With this, I want all the students who read this to go and find out about the opportunities available to them to study with many benefits.

Thank you to the institution for providing us with activities like these to find answers and help on issues that are crucial to us immigrants.

For more information, visit this link: https://foothill.edu/dreamers/events.html