Thousand Oaks vigil: Students and faculty stand in unity

Kathy Honcharuk

Members of the Associated Students of Foothill College prepare to share victims’ biographies with others.

On Nov. 13, a vigil in memory of the victims of the mass shooting in Thousand Oaks was held at the Foothill College library quad. Foothill College President Thuy Nguyen gave a speech expressing compassion and grief for those affected by the 307th mass shooting this year according to The Gun Violence Archive.

“[It] is unbelievable that we have created a society with that level of fear,” Nguyen said. “I stand in solidarity with you in your prayer and your recognition and naming of the victims of the Thousand Oaks.”

Members of the Associated Students of Foothill College and student volunteers read the biographies of twelve victims who were killed in the mass shooting. Their stories were taken from articles that were written with the help of family members.

“It was tragic, but life has to go on,” Foothill student Aishwar Gupta said. “I came here to share the feelings with my friends and victims’ families.”

Daphne Small, director of student activities, was involved with organizing the event. “As with everyone that attended, I felt very sad but proud of our students for gathering and sharing the loss of people around the states in this difficult time,” she said.

With the help of the SmartShop, Small printed a large “Wall of Support” for college students and families affected by the shooting at Borderline Bar and Grill in Southern California just hours after it took place. The poster by Campus Center is plastered below an equally sized flyer to commemorate victims of the Tree of Life Congregation shooting in Pittsburgh.

Over 60 students and faculty members were present at the vigil.

“It was definitely very powerful, instead of focusing on shooter we focused on the lives of the victims,” said Foothill student Rick Holder, a reader of one of the biographies at the event. “We want to show their full rich lives instead of just put them in a headline in a mass media news”

• Associated Students of Foothill College President Chelsey Nguyen talks about the mass shooting in Thousand Oaks.

• Foothill students and faculty stand in solidarity with victims and families at the vigil in the library quad.

• Jashan Chaha and Tiffany Nguyen sign a poster in support of victims of the Thousands Oaks mass shooting at the vigil.

• President Thuy Nguyen, shares her feelings about the mass shooting with students and faculty.