Winter Quarter Survival Guide

Kathy Honcharuk

Students gather at “De-Stress Fest” during Fall Quarter to hear from Psychological Services counselors on tips for managing stress.

1. First and foremost, you have to be prepared. Getting a sense of what you will be studying this term will help you feel prepared and ready to kill this quarter. Look through the syllabus to see the requirements and due dates of papers, homework assignments, quizzes, midterms, and finals.

2. On a piece of paper or an application like Google Calendar, list out:

• your weekly class schedule
  • your work and life schedule (don’t forget to include appointments)
  • time for sleep and getting from place to place
  • time for meals
  • time for when you plan on studying — be specific (location, length of studying, breaks, study pal)
  • time for club and student activities
  • time for resting and fun

3. Pack your bag with study materials you will need and carry these items wherever you go

• School supplies such as textbooks, syllabi, folders that contain class handouts, notebooks, laptop, writing tools, etc.
  • Essential crisis items like tissues for runny nose, medications, sanitary pads, etc.

4. Find your favorite study space and method.

Ask yourself these key questions:

• Do you prefer library, home, or somewhere outside?
  • Do you prefer studying by yourself or with pals?
  • Do you prefer studying at a quiet or a noisy environment?
  • Do you prefer studying with earplugs?
  • Listening to music can help with productivity, depending on the individual and type of work.

RESOURCES ON CAMPUS

Want to make connections on campus?

Making connections on campus can be super helpful and also fulfilling. A great way to meet people is through class, events, club activities, volunteering, student government, the newspaper, or even studying in the library. You can keep track of information through posters on campus, Club Day, Foothill events calendar, and of course, The Script!

Mental health is key

It is important to take care of your mental health throughout the quarter — sometimes, that means talking to someone. When you’re having trouble and don’t know who to talk to, Psychological Services & Personal Counseling, located at Room 2120 on the Lower Level of the Campus Center, are here for you, free of charge. They will unconditionally accept you and give you advice on anything, whether it be issues in your life or about school. You can make an appointment online, by phone, in person, or drop in Monday–Thursday, Noon–1 p.m. They also have great brochures on how to stay focused, deal with anxiety and stress, and tips to make you happy.

Struggling in school?

If you are having a hard time in school, talk to your professor. Your professors are here to help you and they welcome all questions, so feel free to ask. Office hours are very useful and can usually be found on the syllabus handed out on the first day of class. Foothill College also offers many tutoring services if you are struggling in a specific subject. You can also go to Counseling Center for a 30-minute appointment to talk about academics, career, and personal concerns.

English as a second language

If English is your second language, you can go to the Teaching and Learning Center behind the Library. Tutors are there to help with your reading and writing, free of charge.

Research assistance

If you need to do some research for a class, go to the Foothill Library page and make a quick appointment to help you get started!

STEM assistance

If you are studying science, technology, engineering, math, accounting or economics, visit the STEM Center (Room 4213), now open on weekends for students to study and get help from tutors!

Take care of yourself

During the quarter it is crucial that you get enough sleep, take breaks and do things that make you happy. If you are not feeling well, make sure to visit Health Services on campus.

Have fun

Spend time with supportive friends and family to re-energize you. Keep an eye on Foothill activities, events, discussions, plays; you can get discounted movie tickets and restaurant meals through SmartShop on campus.

Don’t forget to check the Foothill website if you need more information — and never be afraid to ask your peers for help!