Taking a Look! The Script reviews Foothill’s Odd Couple

From Left: Florence (Patty Reinhart) and Olive (Kelly Gregg-Rubingh) have a tough time getting along

Sophia Nikravesh, Senior Editor

The Odd Couple’s quick, witty, Gilmore Girls-esque dialogue, accompanied by an intimate setting, provides an excellent escape for any students in dire need of a distraction from midterms. The chemistry between each of the character groups, whether it be the group of girlfriends or the titular odd couple themselves, is lively and energetic. The dialogue flows so well, and the jokes are timed perfectly that it seems almost real. The back and forth banter between the friends creates such an immersive experience that you forget you are watching a play and wish you could go join them yourself.

Those who are apprehensive about watching this play with a modern twist need not to be, because, dare I say, it is perhaps one of the best versions of the story told. Like any iteration of The Odd Couple (directed at Foothill by Lauri Smith), there is an emphasis on the relationships between the characters, and how they interact based on their quirks. However, this version goes in deeper than basic differences two different types of people would encounter. Diametrically opposed, the odd couple of friends, Olive (Patty Reinhart) and Florence (Kelly Gregg-Rubingh), represent two different eras of women: Florence, the cookie-cutter Donna Reed housewife of the 1950’s, and Olive, the modern, carefree working girl. The two help each other realize that there needs to be a certain balance to everything when it comes to life, and that you cannot let traditional societal roles dictate who you are. This is a lesson so many of us students need to adopt as we grow and transfer out to university, that we need to stay true to ourselves, but still be accepting of help and feedback along the way.

The performance times are listed below and are set in the intimate Lohman theatre near the main office.

Thu. 7:30 p.m. Fri. 8 p.m. Sat. 8 p.m. Sun. 2 p.m.
June 1 June 2 June 3 June 4
June 8 June 9 June 10 June 11

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Taking a Look! The Script reviews Foothill’s Odd Couple”

1. Anonymous on October 7th, 2017 2:39 pm

Sophia Nikravesh, I felt like the lesson that you said of students that need to adopt, stay true to ourselves and accept help along the way really struck me. I totally agree with you because I feel like that statement is really accurate and that it should apply to all the students. One aspect that I suggest to consider further researching would be the history of the play, if there is any. I feel like if more information about the play other than the synopsis were told, people would be hooked and see that there are more than what meets the eye to the play.

[Reply]

2. Brandon Wu on October 7th, 2017 2:39 pm

[Reply]

3. Meleina O'Rourke on October 9th, 2017 9:27 pm

Sophia Nikravesh,
    I really enjoyed your review on this play. One thing from this that stood out to me was those last couple of lines overviewing the life lesson behind the play. I think your view on this play was very insightful. It is clear you were extremely observant during this and it was intriguing to you the whole time. When you say that we as students need to be accepting of help and feedback along the way, do you have personal experiences or know of any others that faced hardships because they did not do these things? Is it easier for most than for others to do this? What would your advice be to students that have trouble branching out and asking for help or feedback? Once again, great work!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Taking a Look! The Script reviews Foothill’s Odd Couple

Featured

OP-ED: Net Neutrality and Break The Internet

Featured

Food for thought Thursdays: Immigration Policy

Featured

Electric Motorcycles: Urban Eco-Transportation of Tomorrow

Featured

Finals 101: Study Tips From Foothill Students to Help You Survive Finals

Featured

Clay Bodies Annual Sale

Featured

Petroleum & Permafrost: Impacts of The Senate Tax Plan

Featured

De-Stress Fest: Tuesday’s Study Session

• Featured

Season 2 Episode 1: Professor Bruce McLeod

Arts & Culture

How and Where Do We Draw the Line on Sexual Assault?

Featured

Reflecting on My First Thanksgiving: A Thankful Cupful

The Student News Site of Foothill College